Judge, 2008, Photography, 16” x 20”
Untitled, 2008, Video Still
Law Book Installation, 2008, Gallery Installation/3000 Law Books, 25’ long
Law Book Installation (detail), 2008, Gallery Installation/3000 Law Books, 25’ long.
Camilo Cruz is known as a “bureaucracy artist” because of his double life as an artist and as a Los Angeles Superior Court administrator. Through his on-site images, he explores the imperfection of human presence in the administration of the ideal notion of justice. His images seek to recall the inherent marginalization ingrained within both society at large as well as specific, disjointed communities. Along with his photographs, Camilo has created installations utilizing materials from the courthouse to continue a trajectory of social questioning.
- ArtSeen 3/Emerging Artist Show. Spring Arts Collective Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Foehn Documents. The Constant Gallery, Culver City, CA.
- A Bureaucracy Artist (solo show). The Constant Gallery, Culver City, CA.
- Law Books (solo show). Werby Gallery, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, CA.
- Projections on Lake. “Projections" permanent public outdoor projection space, Pasadena, CA.
- All Media 2007 Juried Exhibition. Irvine Fine Arts Center, Irvine, CA.
- Judicial Portraits (solo show).Merlino Gallery, California State University Long Beach, CA.
- Art of Digital Show. Lyceum Theater Gallery, San Diego, CA.
- Creative Images Fine Art Photography Exhibition. The Arts Garden, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Open Call LA 2007. Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Snap to Grid. Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, Los Angeles, CA.
- 1st Annual Juried Show. Treehouse Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- Uncanny. Gatov West Gallery, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, CA.
- Addressing Iraq: Mail Art About the War. Traveling Exhibition, University of Florida.
- 9th Annual Landscape International Online Juried Art Exhibit.
Upstream People Gallery, Omaha, NE.
- 9th Annual Summer All Media International Online Juried Art Exhibition.
Upstream People Gallery, Omaha, NE.
- Insights 2007. University Art Museum, California State University Long Beach.
- Advancement to Candidacy Exhibit. Gatov Gallery, California State University Long Beach, CA.
- The Art of Business: A Tribute to Artists with Day Jobs. 2nd City Council Art Gallery, Long Beach, CA.
- Statement of Purpose. The JR Gallery, Manhattan Beach, CA.
- Art, Technology, and Society. Digital Media Center, Santa Ana, CA.
- Conflict. Society for Photographic Education-West Conference, Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, CA.
- DPI (Digitally Propelled Images) 2006. University Art Museum, California State University, Pomona, CA.
- Engendered Species. Exhibition Catalogue, Gatov and Merlino Galleries, California State University Long Beach.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2008 Emerging Artist, ArtSeen 3 for the AIDS Research Alliance’s jury, which includes curators and directors from LACMA, The Huntington, MOCA and The Getty Museum.
- First Place, Professional Category, The National Arts Program (6th Annual)
- First Place, All Media 2007 Juried Exhibition, Irvine Fine Arts Center.
- Bronze Award, Digital Conceptualization Category, Black & White Magazine Single Image Contest.
- Merit Award, Photography Department, California State University Long Beach.
- Second Place, Professional Category, The National Arts Program (5th Annual).
- Finalist, Photography Laureates.
- First Place, Professional Category, The National Arts Program (4th Annual)
- Third Place, Graduate Division--Student Photography Conference, Society of Photographic Educators, West Conference.
2004-2008 Master in Fine Arts in Photography, California State University,Long Beach, CA.
1996-1998 Master of Arts Public Policy, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA.
1993-1996 Bachelor of Arts, American History (Honors Program), San Francisco State University, CA.
1985-1990 HS Diploma, Eagle Rock High School, Los Angeles, CA.
2001-to the present. Community Relations Director, Superior Court of California, Los Angeles County